Best Cordless Oscillating Tool For Do-It-Yourselfers And Technicians
When it comes to multipurpose tools, an oscillating tool is one of the most useful by far. It’s a saw, a scraper, a sander, and a grinder with variable speed that can get into small spaces and it work with a variety of material including steel, aluminum, carpet, tile, wood, and even some plastics. This article is to help you find the best cordless oscillating tool because once you have an oscillating tool, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it. In fact, you might actually go around looking for excuses to use it.
Now, there are reasons that some people like and buy corded oscillating tools but for this post we are focused on the ones that are super convenient to grab and go because they are battery operated, super portable, and make it easy to go outside or get into small spaces. Let's look at our top 7 picks for the best cordless oscillating tool so you can learn what they’re all about and find the one that’s right for you. What is the best oscillating tool? You will get to know about this after reading this article.
Our top pick is the DeWALT DCS356D1, a reliable, high-quality, cordless tool that comes with a lot of great accessories. It includes 28 different accessories in all including various attachments for cutting, sanding, and scraping and the quick-change system lets you go from one to the other tool-free. There’s even a universal accessory adapter that can be used with most other brands.
This tool features a dual-grip variable speed trigger for added versatility and a bright LED light to illuminate your work area. A lithium-ion battery and charger are included as well as a contractor bag and storage box so you can keep the whole kit together.
- The 3-speed selector allows users to choose their speed setting based on application.
- Brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed
- Dual-grip variable speed trigger gives users ultimate speed and application control
- Universal accessory adapter for use with most oscillating tool accessory brands
- Quick-change accessory system allows blades and attachments to be changed quickly without wrenches
Next up is the Milwaukee M18, a fully adjustable tool that’s pretty powerful. You can change the speed from 11,000 to 18,000 oscillations per minute so you can use it for both delicate and heavy jobs. An all-metal gear case makes this tool exceptionally durable so it will last a long time.
The handle is covered with a rubberized grip that helps you keep a firm grip, even in slippery conditions and LED lighting lights up your work for more accuracy. That’s not all. This tool also uses Milwaukee's REDLITHIUM™technology which allows the battery and the tool to communicate. The batteries sense when the tool is overheating and back off on the amount of power they’re providing to prevent internal damage. This is a great premium oscillating tool but doesn't come with the same diversity of attachments as our top choice.
- 12 SPEED SETTINGS: This fully adjustable tool will switch from 11,000 to a whopping 18,000 OPM for a variety of applications, from the delicate to the heavy duty
- DURABILITY: The all-metal gear case will help this tool resist common impacts on the job, prolonging its longevity
- HANDLING: A rubberized mold covering the handle allows you to keep a firm grip of this multi-tool, improving handling even in slippery conditions
- LED LIGHTING: Illuminate your work subject with the help of the onboard LED panel, located at on the head of the tool so it works from any angle
- REDLINK TECHNOLOGY: The M18 batteries that plug into this tool have technology that allows cross-communication between the two platforms. This means that when the batteries know when the tool is close to overheating, and they'll ease the amount of power they give out. This, too, improves the longevity of the multi-tool
This is the oscillating tool that currently lives in my toolbox. Sometimes you choose initially because of the other tools you have and the ecosystem you've bought into. I've got several other 18V Bosch tools and batteries so that skewed my buying decision. That said, this is a really great tool and I wholeheartedly recommend it. This tool has solid build quality and the starlock blade system is great.
Bosch claims that the starlockPlus 3D tool accessory interface produces the best in class grip and greater torque transfer. I don't know if that's true but I do find I prefer this tool to the corded Dremel that I had before I purchased this Bosch. It is a bit more expensive and you have to buy the accessories separately but many believe it's worth it.
- Starlock 3-D tool-accessory interface - best-in-class grip means more torque transfer
- Multi-tool versatility - accomplish flush-cutting, plunge-cutting, sanding, grinding, and many other tasks
- Compatible with all Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion tools and chargers
- Unique Cool Pack Design: Special heat conductive housing and ribbing pulls heat away from inside the battery, keeping the battery cooler
Another great option from DeWALT is the DWE315K. Dewalt has some great tools in this category and this one makes the list of best cordless oscillating tools for it's value. At a little more than half the price of our top recommendation, this tool will be all that most people need. It features a quick-change system so that you can switch from one accessory to the next without any wrenches. It also comes with a 29-piece accessory kit that has all the popular attachments you need for most jobs including various blades, a sanding pad, 25 sheets of sandpaper, a storage box, multi-brand accessory adapter, and a contractor bag.
That’s not all. There’s also a dual-grip variable speed trigger providing a lot of control and the bright integrated LED light illuminates dark work areas so you can work with more precision.
- POWERFUL 3 AMP MOTOR provides strong performance for cutting and sanding; Oscillations/min: 0-22,000 OPM
- QUICK-CHANGE ACCESSORY SYSTEM allows blades and attachments to be changed quickly without wrenches
- DUAL-GRIP VARIABLE SPEED TRIGGER gives users ultimate speed and application control
- BRIGHT LED LIGHT illuminates dark work surfaces for accurate cutting
- 29-PC DEWALT ACCESSORY KIT with storage box includes popular cutting and sanding attachments
The Rockwell RK2701K Sonicrafter has an easy blade changing system that provides 1 ton of blade clamping power that keeps all your blades and accessories firmly in place. It also has a universal fit system so it accepts all major brands of oscillating blades. You aren't locked in to a brand and you can borrow blades from a buddy even if they have a different brand tool.
This tool has 20V battery and a brushless motor so you should have all the power and runtime you need for most jobs. Rockwell isn't a top brand in this space but this is a solid tool at a lower price point that's worth consideration.
- Cordless convenience for cutting, scraping, sanding and more
- Hyperlock tool free blade Clamp provides 1-ton of non-slipping blade-holding power
- Universal fit system accepts all major brands of Oscillating blades
- Blade swings at 4 degrees for fast cutting and control in all materials
- Brushless motor lasts longer, with more runtime and power than standard motors
An award winning tool, the SKIL PWRCore 12V Oscillating Tool has a lot of interesting features that make it unique amongst the tools on this list. One key feature is the 6-speed auto sensing feature that automatically adjusts the speed based on your project and the feedback to the tool. It also has a 5 minute quick charge which is a lifesaver when you want to do a project and find out you have a dead battery.
This tool is also comes with a 40-piece accessory kit and a bright light integrated into the head. It's a compact and innovative tool for those who want something easy to use.
- ONE TOOL, MANY USES-Cut, sand, scrape, and more with this oscillating tool set with 40-piece accessory kit. Includes a PWR Core 12 Lithium Battery with PWR Assist Mobile Charging and PWR Jump Charger.
- COMPACT SIZE-The digital brushless motor provides compact, lightweight power.
- LONGER RUN TIME & BATTERY LIFE-Industry leading PWR Core 12 lithium battery technology wraps each cell with cooling material to keep the battery powering on for 25% longer run time and 2X battery life.
- CHARGES IN 5 MINUTES-PWR Jump charges the battery to 25% in just 5 minutes, or 100% battery in 45 minutes (Based on 2. 0Ah battery).
- AUTOMATICALLY ADJUSTS SPEED-This oscillating tool features 6-Speed Auto Sensing that adjusts based on your project. , BRIGHT HALO LIGHT-Get 5X more light than common LEDs! Light up your workspace and reduce shadows. , Multi Tool; 2. 0Ah Battery; PWRJUMPTM Charger; Battery Jacket; 35pc Sanding Paper; Sanding Pad; Bi-metal Plunge Blade; HCS Wood Blade; HCS Segment Blade; Ridged Scraper
Finally, there’s the Fein AFMT12QSL which promises less vibration and a quieter operation than comparable models. It features a 12V battery with the housing separated from the motor with multiple dampening elements to create a well-balanced tool with superior handling and comfort.
Tool change is really easy, as with most of our recommendations in this category the Fein has a pin-less, tool-free quick-change system. The accessories simply snap in place for a strong and secure fit. This is a solid tool for small, lightweight projects. This tool is the least powerful of the 7 we've recommended but if vibration causes you discomfort then it's worth a look.
- The new Star lock mounting system allows for a "snap-in" Tool-free accessory change; 3 second blade change!
- Quietest and least vibration of all oscillating tools
- By integrating four dampening elements, The housing is completely independent of the motor for minimum physical stress and safe operation even in continuous use
- Includes two li-ion safety cell batteries that protect against overload, over heating, and deep discharge
- Perfect for renovation for door jambs, toe kicks and hardwood flooring to name a few
The Best Cordless Oscillating Tool Around
Once you pick an oscillating tool, you’ll be surprised at what it can do. It’s a saw, a sander, a scraper, and a grinder all in one! The best part is that most of these tools come with a lot of accessories included so you don’t have to worry about going out and buying additional accessories. You’re ready to go as soon as you open the box. For those that don't include accessories, most of them have universal adapters so you can pick and choose the accessories you want. All above were among the best cordless oscillating tools, but other best corded oscillating tools are too available in the market.
If you’ve decided that this is a tool you just can’t live without, let us know what you think of our top seven picks. If you don't like any of these, leave a comment with your thoughts or favorites. If we've missed a good one we'll go check it out and add a review. There are a lot of great options to choose from so you can should find the right one for you. All above were among the best cordless oscillating tools, but other most wanted corded oscillating tools are too available in the market.